SHARE

One million People Sign Petition Against Resistance to President Donald and To Cancell Trump’s State Visit to UK

More than one million people have signed Petition against Donald Trump and to cancell Trumps’s visit to the UK. His state visit to UK is expected to be debated in Parliament.

The petition calls for the visit, which is due to take place in the summer, to be abandoned because of the risk it will “embarrass” the Queen.

However, a Downing Street source has told the BBC that cancelling the trip would be “populist gesture” and “undo everything” achieved by Theresa May during her trip to the US last week.

Downing Street sources have confirmed that Mrs have withdrawn her invitation to President Trump. Ruth Davidson, the leader of the Scottish Conservatives, said that the visit “could not possibly occur” while the travel ban is in place.

“State visits are designed for both the host, and the head of state who is being hosted, to celebrate and entrench the friendships and shared values between their respective countries.

“A state visit from the current president of the United States could not possibly occur in the best traditions of the enterprise while a cruel and divisive policy which discriminates against citizens of the host nation is in place. I hope President Trump immediately reconsiders his Muslim ban.”

Mr Corbyn said Mr Trump’s state visit will be called off until he cancels the 90-day ban on citizens from Syria, Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia or Yemen entering the US.

He said: “Is it really right to endorse somebody who has used this awful misogynistic language throughout the election campaign, awful attacks on Muslims, and then of course this absurd idea of building a wall between themselves and their nearest neighbour?”

He added: “I think we should make it very clear we are extremely upset about it, and I think it would be totally wrong for him to be coming here while that situation is going on.”

The current petition had only 60 signatures on Saturday afternoon, but had smashed the 100,000 mark by noon on Sunday.

Buckingham Palace refused to comment at the moment.

SHARE